The Historical Alpine Theatre
Home

Other Links of Interest
Main Street Ripley
RipleyWV.net




The Alpine Theatre

The Alpine Theatre was built in 1936 by Holt Rhodes; the first showing was held on Christmas Day.  Tickets were 30 for adults and 15 for children.  Also, live shows were brought in from Nashville.  The theatre was sold to Joseph, Urling & Raad in the early 1940's and was managed by Ray and Fay Archer until it was sold again to Johnny and Betty Paul in 1967.  The theatre had daily showings for all the moviegoers for decades until its doors closed in 1984. 

Main Street Ripley purchased the theatre on June 10, 2003 to preserve a piece of history and create an attraction to the downtown business district.  Many volunteers have sweat equity in the restoration of the Alpine Theatre.  Thanks to grants by West Virginia Division of Culture and History, the Main Street Ripley organization through it's many volunteers was able to bring the Alpine back to life.

The Alpine Theatre has been the stage for performances from local talent to national performers.  From weddings to conferences, the Alpine Theatre is available for rent.  Call the Main Street Ripley office at 304-372-1637.

Alpine before restoration

Alpine after restoration